For the past few years, Koh Tao has been the recipient of approximately 1000 – 1500 juvenile giant clams each year for the development and improvement of our reefs.
Many of these have been placed in protective cages for a year and are around 1-3 years old when received. After a year of care these clams are transplanted on designated reefs under Koh Tao’s ‘Adopt-a-Reef’ program.
* The largest Giant Clam was over 6ft in length.
* Giant Clams are able to self reproduce.
* Giant Clams can survive for more than 100 years.
* Giant Clams can produce 500 million eggs at once.
* Clams are threatened by over harvesting for food or decorative reasons.
Take a Marine conservation course to get more in depth knowledge of Giant Clams.