In September 2008 Eco Koh Tao joined forces with local community groups and a number of other dive schools to construct and deploy Koh Tao’s second Biorock™ dive site.
Working at the Biorock site we have been transplanting dying, broken and vulnerable coral fragments onto the structures for rehabilitation, collecting growth rates and assessing the percentage cover of the corals on the structure to compile data on its effectiveness as a reef restoration technique.
* The Biorock method was developed by Wolf Hilbertz.
* The process helps coral grown up to 5 times faster than normal.
* The method requires mainland power or solar produced.
* There is evidence that the coral is more resistant to environment factors.
* Several Biorocks of various sizes exist on Koh Tao.
Take a Marine Conservation Internship to get more in depth knowledge of BioRock and its capabilities.